As we finally turn the corner from winter to spring, Minnesotans know that we don’t have long before the humidity sets in. Yes, we are grateful for summer around here, but with it comes challenges in beauty and skincare. It’s uncomfortable enough to feel sweaty the instant you step outside; it’s downright frustrating to try to maintain a dry, clear complexion. The good news is you can be proactive.
Bear in mind that humidity isn’t all bad for skin. It provides moisture that is good for preventing wrinkles. It’s nice to have a little glow to our complexions, too. It’s the excess moisture and exposure to the sun that give us problems. So what can you do?
The most important advice to remember is to always wear something that will protect your skin from UV rays. Sun causes a lot of damage. Even if you aren’t seeing the negative effects now, you are only speeding the aging process by failing to protect yourself from the sun’s rays.
With that in mind, the problems that humidity creates for us are a separate issue. The sweat that hangs out blocks pores. On top of that, humidity stimulates the sebaceous glands, making skin appear oily. It’s a double-whammy that can cause a lot of people to break out. However, you don’t want to dry your skin out too much or you’ll exacerbate the oily condition.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind as the weather changes from pleasant to sweltering:
- Cleanse twice a day with the right products. It’s extra important to remove makeup, grime, and excess oil from your face. Use products that won’t overly dry your skin. Salicylic acids help remove dead surface skin cells without exfoliating to help keep pores clear.
- Try using blotting papers throughout the day to remove shine.
- Use a mattifying primer – this helps reduce the appearance of shine while giving a smooth surface.
- Choose oil-free, water-based moisturizers. They are lightweight and help seal in moisture, which is especially necessary at night. If it says it’s non-comedogenic, it won’t clog pores.
- Visit a skincare specialist. Skin types react differently to products and care regimens, so an expert will be able to help you identify the products that will best help you. They can also help counteract anything that a product isn’t effective at solving.
To look your best, consult a practitioner at Urban Retreat Med Spa in Minneapolis. We will determine what you need to keep your skin its healthiest during transitioning weather, especially in a flexible climate like ours. We have treatments for numerous skin conditions and great product lines to make your skin amazing. Call us today: 952-974-7858.